In one class I am taking, I read an usual book called Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko. It is written by an American Indian (turns out that I do not have to call them Native Americans after all! My somewhat politically-correct professor says so!) about a mixed-race Pueblo Laguna who returns to Arizona after WWII suffering from Post Trauma Stress Disorder.
The book has simple but unusual prose. Silko is very good at rendering scenes using all the senses. She is also good at making emotions tangible and real, not abstract and over-the-top.
The story is nonlinear; some parts of it are down-right confusing. If you don't like riddles, don't read this book. It all hangs together, but it is not a "once upon a time..." sort of story.
It is dark but not gritty. Everyone in this book is damaged somehow, but the good guys survive and heal. A main theme in the book ask the question: what is the role of American Indians in modern-day society?
I have never read a book before by an American Indian about American Indians. I rooted for the main character and really wanted him to find healing. Likewise, I despised the Bad Guys. In my opinion, if you don't find yourself having a strong emotional reaction to characters, the book is pretty near not worth reading.
I don't know about American Indian lit. I suppose that these days, with minority lit making an impression on the market, there has to be more out there. Recommendations, anyone?
No comments:
Post a Comment