Most book reviewers focus on recently published books, so why would I focus on older ones, ones people may have already heard about or read? Well, I think the current picks people sometimes just don't get around to. I remind readers of these books. Sometimes a current must-read list is too long to add another.
I find that when I first hear about a book, it has been recently released. I don't have the space or money to buy all the books I want to read, so I use the library. Unfortunately, if I just heard of the book, so has 57 other people, who then beat me to the "hold" list. I return to the book after its "novelty" (har, har) has worn off. I think a lot of other people would like to do the same.
Furthermore, if someone read a book when it was published 10+ years ago, it may be time for a re-read. I believe that a truly excellent book cannot tell us everything we need to know the first read; wisdom may be missed or circumstances may have changed so that now the reader may gain something new from it. Read a book twice. Good books won't disappoint.
I focus on "classics," books that will forever hold appeal no matter what the publication date says. They lean toward literary fiction but are still accessible. Sometimes these are what are conventionally regarded as "classics:" the fodder of literature class analysis. These may be the pick of librarians, but that doesn't mean they are dull. With these I show readers that they are not as intimidating or dry as some believe. For instance, Gone with the Wind is actually very funny and fast read. It has plot twists galore.
Other "classics" are books that are simply well-written, entertaining, or powerful. They don't have to be filled with literary devices. If they are well-written and speak to the human spirit powerfully, then to me they are a classic.
In whichever case, I like to identify the strengths, weaknesses, and intended audience. This year I will review the 101 books I read in 2010 and other picks. I welcome discussion on the books and like to hear readers' reactions on the picks. After all, without any readers, no matter how loyal the book, it will be forgotten.
I agree with your post on books in general. I think books are very entertaining. I can get so engrossed in a book that when reading wherever it may be, I get took away with the location and action of the story (fiction or non-fiction).
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that many older books tend to be forgotten outside of classrooms. While the language in some classic books may be difficult for some, the is a reason these books are considered classics. I know I am guilty of not making time outside of school for many of these books that I have either not had an opportunity to read or have read so long ago I can barely remember what they are about.
ReplyDeleteI like your reasoning and am delighted to find a blog about 'older' books.
ReplyDelete